Building a custom model field from the ground up
Friday 11:30-12:00 UTC+2 in Main hall
A comprehensive guide on building custom models fields in Django. Including descriptors, lookups, expressions and many more.
Often you need to map domain entities onto your application and store them in a database. Django provides you with a very extensible API that allows you to integrate domain entities with ORM seamlessly.
This talk will walk through all essential steps in building a
Money instances support for Django from the ground, based on real-life examples taken from
Here is an overview of the talk structure:
Historical notes on
Implementing a field for
py-moneyedwith Django. Map
- What field to choose?
- Implicit currency field
- How descriptors could help here?
- Designing the API
- Lookup API vs. old style model managers surgery
- Expressions. Enhancing Money class
- Integrating Django admin. Utilizing
- Migrations. Deconstruction & backends differences